Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools® Servant Leader Intern Position Description
College-age young people and recent college graduates play a key role in the Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools® program as servant leader interns. CDF Freedom Schools servant leader interns are responsible for the front-line care and nurturing of the children. Using the Integrated Reading Curriculum, they serve as facilitators in the classroom and as leaders of parent workshops and community outreach activities.
- Deliver the Integrated Reading Curriculum to a class of no more than ten students for 6–8 weeks during the summer months, according to the standards developed by the Children’s Defense Fund and the local program sponsor.
- Set up and break down his/her classroom space, including securing and organizing the appropriate materials.
- Collaborate with staff to establish and maintain a supportive and structured environment for the children entrusted to their care.
- Serve as a Harambee! leader each day of program operation.
- Serve as a leader of afternoon activities and other special events; chaperone field trips.
- Participate fully in the National Training. (1st, 2nd and 3rd year servant leader interns only).
- Must be at least 19-30 years of age, have completed at least one year of college, and have plans to complete the college degree
- Maintain or have graduated with at least a 3.0 GPA
- Experience managing large groups of children, college-age young people, and parents
- Solid commitment to children’s advocacy and enthusiasm for the CDF Freedom Schools program
- Ability to motivate others and work as part of an intergenerational team
- Strong appreciation and understanding of individual cultural history and the willingness to be open and respectful of all cultures
- Willingness to strive for excellence in all areas and ability to think critically and analytically
- Exhibit positive behavior and attitude; model a mature and professional demeanor; possess excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to the ethics of good character, humility, and servant leadership
- Current voter registration (as eligible by law)
- Authorization for background check for criminal and child protective findings
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.